A bit of my view...

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Stellar solar ideas

There have been some really cool developments in nanotechnology lately that I've started an idea journal complements of Engineering 104. Northwestern University and the University of Illinois have teamed up in the development of flexible circuitry. The latest edition of Popular Science also featured a breakthrough in a new anti-reflective technology by the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute that takes advantage of the structure of titanium-oxide and silicon layers to capture 96% of sunlight, no matter what the weather or region of the country.

I'm very excited about both of these stories because I've had an idea for a couple of years that I want to try and develop my Senior year at Western. I've seen too many movies to tell you what it is, but it is now in the journal along with notes about these breakthroughs.

The last couple of weeks have gone by fast and have been very weird. We've spent the last 2 weeks with cold and clear weather up here and it snowed again. In fact to get anywhere in the yard, you just walk on top of the frozen foot-plus of snow. In the low-lands they had continuous fog - day and night. It was like driving from Alaska to San Francisco within a half-an-hour. Today it seems like everything may be returning to normal. It is in the upper 30's and raining, so I'm hoping some more snow melts. I've been having dreams about seeing my lawn - do you think they mean something?

No comments: