A bit of my view...

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Bottle of Chateau St. Michelle, for the Earth of Course

As you all celebrate Earth Day tomorrow, as I'm sure you all are, take a minute to think about what you are eating and drinking. May's National Geographic has an amazing chart regarding your carbon footprint as related to a purchase of a bottle of wine, and it really got me to take a moment to reflect about my diet.

Think about it. If truck emissions are much greater than container ship emissions, then when a Seattlite (is that how y'all spell it?) buys a bottle of French wine, the shipment of a single bottle of wine from France to Seattle puts out 3.0 pounds of carbon emissions. This accounts for the shipment into the Great Lakes and the drive from Chicago to Seattle. An even bigger footprint of 4.4 pounds is placed on a shipment of Napa Valley wine to New York, since there is no ship involved, just trucking.

You can take that knowledge and apply it to all of your food and beverage. The farther it is trucked to your table, the larger your footprint of your meal or cocktail. I heard another very unpopular theory today from a climatologist that says that the larger you are, the greater the carbon footprint you make. He directly linked Western obesity to global warming, not only from the shipping aspect, but from the impact of grazing and corporate farming. It's a very interesting theory if you think about it, and a great reason to go on a diet if you care about the Earth.

I hope everyone finds a way to celebrate Earth Day tomorrow! As promised, here are the photos from the Rosario Beach Marine Lab and of the new baby!


This is Rowan Z - my first great-nephew


This is every man and teenage boy in my class on children's playground equipment, and the professor yelling at the minors to get off.


Deception Pass


Duh! My most favorite sign ever.


Here is the beach at the marine laboratory - my favorite picture from the weekend.

2 comments:

srcsmgrl said...

I know you were considering blogging to make money at some point and I thougth I would pass on this online resource: http://blogmarketingjournal.com

I stumbled on it while doing research for work.

Allucas said...

I think I will look into that after this quarter is over. For the first time in my life I'm struggling to keep up in my classes. That's also why my yard looks like crap.

Thanks for the tip!