A bit of my view...

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Refuge From the Mean Public

It's really weird, but I feel like I have found a refuge from work at school this week. Not that pharmacy workers regularly need a refuge, but we had one of the worst Mondays in a very long time. Mondays are tough enough with the high volume of prescriptions, but we just seemed to have problem after problem on top of our regular Monday. Not only did it seem as if every customer that got a regular narcotic prescription was calling hourly to see if their doctor had returned our fax, but the military's insurance computers were down, and so we couldn't bill anything for them. Then Kusler's called several times for several transfers and asked us to fax them, only to find out that their fax machine wasn't working after they called and rudely complained about us not sending them. Note it was no fault of ours, but two of their technicians were beeahtches about the whole matter.

Then to top off my Monday, I got chewed out by one of our pharmacists because an acquaintance of mine transferred a prescription out of state to a pharmacy that didn't know sh** from shinola, as my grandpa would have said. That pharmacy didn't even understand what she wanted filled, but yet she called my boss and, as he put it, condescendingly bitched him out for the other pharmacy's incompetancy. And finally to conclude the problem festival, we ended the night with a 20 prescription list from a patient that called them in 30 minutes before closing, when we only have two pharmacy staff members working. This customer is on disability and doesn't work, so it's not like she didn't have all day to call them in when we can actually handle that volume of a request.

I was so happy to look at the schedule yesterday to find myself in the nursing home packaging pharmacy, because there's limited contact with the public. However, about 2 hours into my workday, the out-patient pharmacy's printer shredded a paper inside of it during a paper jam. They called the IT people, and scheduled an expensive maitenance call for today, but they were using my printer way too much, and so I helped them fix theirs. These engineering classes are coming in handy. I actually took that sucker apart, cleaned it out, and put it back together. Of course that took 45 minutes out of my day. Just 3 more years, just 3 more years.

This morning I got to play with GIS maps and started a zoning and planning project. I really like GIS and I'm so glad I found my niche. After 1 week of this GIS/Geosystems class, I'm no longer afraid of making bad planning decisions, because the technology is just so much better than 14 years ago when I first attempted this degree. It will be really cool to expand the knowlege into my WWU classes next year. I'm so glad it's a school day today, did I say that already?

2 comments:

srcsmgrl said...

I don't know if that "out of state" transfer was ours, but let me tell you it wasn't any better on that end. :P

Allucas said...

Grocery store pharmacies are the worst, that's why I quit working for them so fast. No, I take that back, Walmart pharmacies are the worst - I cringe everytime I have to spell something to a pharmacist.