A bit of my view...

Monday, April 20, 2009

Life at the Beach and Babies

Today is the first day back to my "real job" in a week. Despite all the work and activities I did last week, it was a rewarding and relaxing vacation. On Wednesday, we dropped off a huge food donation to the Darrington Family Resource Center, and could not believe the reception we received. I can't stress enough how much local food banks and resource centers need donations right now. Please, if you have anything to give, they could really use it.

On Friday, I left my family to spend the weekend at the Rosario Beach Marine Laboratory on Whidbey Island with my Physical Geography class. We visited many West Whidbey beaches, tracking with GPS, and measuring the tides. The info was compiled into ArcGIS and layed over a UW Ocean Topography map, a 1970 USGS map, and a 1914 US Survey map. Later this week, we will compare our tidal information with the maps, and explain the differences in the energy of the individual beaches. In a few weeks we will use the same technology to compare the current glacier on Whitehorse with data from the 1970 USGS mapping.

Our class was given a good weekend to bond, and it was funny how during free time, the age groups split up. We five girls in the class also got to know each other really well, and it was nice to be able to discuss family, work and school issues with other women who know exactly how I feel. Our teams also got some good teamwork time in, since each team was responsible for at least one meal and cleaning in the huge industrial kitchen and common building. I got to make hash browns over a huge flat grill, a restaurant experienced I missed by working for the Parks Department after high school instead of McDonald's. I also got to say, "five minutes chef," and really mean it J! Being one of the drivers for the class, I got to teach 3 guys 19-22, the history of the rock and roll we were rockin' out to. It was so funny how many questions they asked about music, while we were riding around from beach to beach.

I finished off my weekend watching Marley and Me, and made the hubby watch it, too. I cried just as much as I did with the book. I realized that despite being a dog person, that my Marley is my Lynx Siamese, Fokker. I have never bonded that much with a cat before, but he is such a smart, loyal and trustful kitty, it will be so hard to let him go when it's time. The hubby agreed, the cat will be our tear jerker. I think it's because we decided not to have any kids together, and really treat him like our little baby.

Because of the field work this weekend, I didn't get much sleep. It really was so nice to sleep in my own bed last night, and not on the floor of a cabin in a sleeping bag. I'm still really tired, though, and have to start my workweek already exhausted. I really hope I can hold my temper with the OxyMorons and VicoHeads today.

And the best news of all from last week? I'm a Great Auntie! Welcome to the world Rowan Z! Congratulations Cate and Z – I wish I could be there to celebrate with you and meet him.

I'll post some pictures this week from the beaches and of the baby.

No comments: