A bit of my view...

Friday, May 1, 2009

Missing: Small, Green and Cute

I feel like I'm missing out on a lot lately, because of school and work. My employer has been more than kind scheduling around my school schedule and T's Saturday volleyball games, but there are so many things I can't attend. I haven't been able to do any Darrington Improvement Club projects this year, I'm missing a Green Day concert because of MIL's 60th b-day, also missing ACDC because of a pre-planned family vacation, and what hurts the most? I'm missing Northwest Frog Fest this Saturday.

Anyone who knows me, knows how much I have always loved frogs, and always will. Northwest Frog Fest features frogs from around the world, and even has non-poisonous dart frogs to handle. Do you know how long I've always wanted to hold a little dart frog? They are so cute!

Many people are unaware of it, but we are witnessing a mass extinction of amphibians around the world. In the last decade, we've lost hundreds of species to extinction. What's killing them? Well, it is an amphibian fungus much like the bee fungus, but it is brought on by human development. Worldwide, streams are being tapped for human water consumption, and construction run-off is also clogging ponds and streams, encouraging the growth of the fungi spores.

I hate to say it, but I don't think this is reversible, and I really think I will see the extinction of my favorite animal in my lifetime. So love your frogs while you have them.

Speaking of extinction, I think the trees have it out for me. I'm on every allergy and asthma medicine possible, and still I'm sick. It's one of those days where if I didn't have kids that need stuff all the time, I'd take a few sick days off. But, unfortunately I can't. I really can't wait to see how many customers avoid me because of the swine flu. I swear it's allergies people – I've been feeling bad for weeks.

I really hope they get a handle on the swine flu, though. We've had so many midnight trips to the ER because of the youngest's asthma, it would be devastating to him if he got a flu like this one. But really, what can you do? It's a virus. My great-uncle died when he was just 15 from the Spanish flu in 1918, and he was completely healthy. It's crazy how the smallest living organisms on Earth are the most devastating to the most advanced living organisms on Earth.

All I have to say is wash your hands people. And for dog's sake – DON'T COUGH ON YOUR PRESCRIPTION BEFORE YOU HAND IT IN! GROSS!

No comments: