A bit of my view...

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dreams and Small Wonders

Today is the 45th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King's I Have a Dream speech. Today is also the day that the first black man will accept a nomination from the Democratic Party to run for president. Anyone else feeling proud? I sure am, but I have other things in this presidential race to be proud of.

Obama's pick for VP comes from the home of the Blue hen chicken, the Small Wonder, the first state. Whenever I tell people where I'm from, I always say I'm from Delmarva and I get the weirdest looks (unless I'm back there visiting of course). I'm from the Maryland part of Delmarva near the states' border, but the states on peninsula share each others' joys and sorrows, especially Delaware's. I just visited there almost 2 months ago, and was so happy about how liberal and understanding my home peninsula has become. When people want to argue about school bussing programs, I just think about how successful they have been in reducing racism on Delmarva in the last 30 years. In fact, I distinctly noticed that the sign for the Mason-Dixon Line had been removed near Selbyville when I drove by. And now the first black presidential nominee has picked the long-term Senator from Delaware to be his running mate. How cool is that?

I remember when I was a kid, my mom-mom and pop-pop driving me for hours to some event where we could meet Joe Biden. My mom-mom was so happy to see her Senator in person, and was pretty up-to-date on her politics when it came to her Senator Biden. I only wish she could be here to see him become Vice President. Yes Vice President – face it, Obama's the man! Yes we can!

Quick note - Mo Rocca would like you to know that Biden's middle name is not Bassinette or Raisinette, but Robinette. If you have time, check out his video of the Blue Hen ladies at the DNC convention, and learn a little something about Delaware.

No comments: