A bit of my view...

Monday, February 21, 2011

Graduation Contemplation

So I'd like to say that I have so many exciting things going on that I haven't been able to update my page lately, but that would kind of be a lie.  Don't get me wrong, we have a lot of exciting projects in the works, but I'm just in the boring research phase of my city projects and school papers.  My head throbs daily from reading so much and the arthritis in my fingers refuses to deflame from all the typing, but it will be worth it in the end.  Heck, I found out the head librarian in town has an Oceanography degree, so even if those Baby Boomer planners continue to refuse retirement there's always research work in the library, right?  NOT - I'd find myself beating my ADD head against the wall everyday.  It's too quiet in there.  Who gives up the ocean for a library anyway?  Crazy lady.

Speaking of my future career plans, I did make it through the first round of cuts for the Associate Planner position at Snohomish County Planning and Development.  I don't feel very confident about the interview though.  I did all of the right things, held up my posture, smiled, firm handshakes all around, gave off a self-confident aura until... the curveball question.  It all went downhill after that.  I said so many uhs and ums after that, I wouldn't hire me.  I HATE uhs and ums.  I'm sure it's not as bad as I make it sound, but compared to all of my pharmacy interviews where I came out feeling like a stud it was cow material.

So, I'm applying for more positions at private firms and other municipalities as they come along, and hopefully I'll network into something.  Until then, I'm still a giant Pez dispenser at the pharmacy, and a freebie at the city.  I hope you all can make it to our Humanimal series at the City of Arlington every Thursday in May, it's going to be fun.

No comments: