A bit of my view...

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Amazing Salmon

Whoa two in a row!  Honestly, I'm just killing time waiting for Darrington schools to report so I can know whether or not to set the alarm when I go back to bed.  I think the school should be closed, but they were open yesterday despite the 18 inches of snow and all of the crashes and jack-knifes out here on the highway.  Not exactly safe bussing conditions to me, but who cares about safety when you're trying to boast about staying on budget, right?

After going through two large snowstorms that have turned to ice within 2 years time, I can definitely say that when the Hermit eventually goes to Scandinavia to trace his roots when we are older, I will be hanging out in South Germany or France while he visits Ice world.  Not a fan of perma-snow.  At least this one hit us in February and not December so it will only be a week or two of white instead of months.  I just hope our fruit trees are okay, since the pear blossoms indicated it was time to prune them to stumpiness on the 13th.  Maybe it snowed enough to insulate them before the temp dropped into the teens?

I did run across some very interesting fish facts last night while researching one of my term papers, and I would love to share them with you.  First amazing fish fact - juvenile salmon are territorial, including a dominant individual, and that fish is much larger than the rest because it is an aggressive glutton.  Second amazing fish fact - salmonids can exhibit hyperactivity.  Of course this usually gets them noticed and eaten by larger fish, but ADHD in fish seems kind of funny to me.  And the third and most amazing fish fact (to me at least) - fish can cough.  I'm not sure how it sounds or what it looks like, but according to fish scientists, they cough.  Now I hope you all feel a little smarter knowing these trivial salmonid facts.  Time to recheck the school report.

Update:  School is closed.  Enough parents must have complained yesterday - good job Logger moms.  Trying to stay positive about Ice world - I caught air in a tobogon yesterday, and today it gave me a  chance to sleep in for once.  Good night world.

No comments: