A bit of my view...

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Fake Science and Exxon

I ran across a federal lawsuit recently that made me perk up to attention. An Inupiat tribe in Kivalina, Alaska is suing 24 oil, electricity and coal companies (yes, BIG oil…Exxon, Chevron,etc.) for $400 million dollars – the cost of moving their village. Yes, that's right, they have to move their village. Why? The permafrost below the town is melting into a mucky mud and 50 years of erosion from melting sea ice has claimed nearly 20 acres.

    What's so special about this lawsuit? It is based on the Big Tobacco lawsuits of the 1990's, claiming that like the tobacco companies, Big Oil sponsored trade associations that were focused on discounting the science behind Global Warming. Remember the testimonies from the 60's – 80's from the tobacco doctors? "Cigarette smoke does not cause cancer. Nicotine is not addictive." Ya right! In fact, the Advancement of Sound Science Coalition is just Phillip Morris' PR firm refocused – yes, the same foundation that said cigarettes are not harmful have been telling you that "climate change" is not man-made or affected by carbon output. In the lawsuit, Exxon is accused of funneling $16 million over 7 years to 42 organizations focused on promoting false information on Global Warming. Now I really feel raped by the pump.

    Life has been so busy lately for me; in fact I can't remember the last morning I slept-in. It's been college during the week, boys' footballs games on Saturdays, and work on Sundays and every weekday I can fit in between my other schedules. I'm so glad my employer is working with me - it takes 30 hours to keep the whole famdamily insured. I had my first meeting with faculty and the director of Western Washington University's Huxley College for the Environment last week. It went really well, I only hope the credit markets open up enough for student lending next year. Yikes!

    Despite the stinky economy, and all the work in my life, one thing is going great! The Redskins are 4 and 1! Ha take that everyone in PNW. Quit ranking on me for donning my maroon and gold. What are the Seahawks – 1 and 3? What now?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alucas,
Wonderful insight into the Kivalina suit. It really could be the one case that could change the fundamentals.

Somehow I feel that intentionally deceptive speech is immoral, and when it can hasten human extinction, I am astounded that we tolerate it for a moment.

Good posting.

Richard
http://noenergytomorrow.org/