A bit of my view...

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Crystals, Thundereggs, Fossils and More North Cascade Adventures

It seems that everytime I start feeling really good, my body throws a wrench in the wheel. I had just gotten back into my running routine when two weeks ago I passed a large kidney stone. A C.T. scan later showed six more in my kidneys which are causing me A LOT of back pain and nausea. The doctor thought I should stay home and wait it out, but that's just not me.
I've been working full time through the pain, and going on walks when I feel good. Last week, I took out some aggression on rocks and geodes as we went rockhounding at Walker Valley in Skagit County. We tried to hike up to a ridge, but between the Youngest's asthma and my back pain, we only made it a mile, then turned around. Next we went to the DNR gravel pit where we sledged, dug, and hammered rocks for hours looking for crystals.
Tay found the best thunderegg, the Hermit found some great smaller intact thundereggs, and I found some jadite, very small thundereggs, a large deposit of sulphur (yuck), and of course fossils. If you ever want to find fossils, just bring me with you. I think I have an internal radar for fossils as I have found them on every rockhounding trip, no matter what we're searching for.
Anyway, here are some great pictures of our trip and our finds...
Sitting in a hole breaking rocks
Still sitting in a hole breaking rocks


Small Geodes

Large Geodes

No comments: